Specialist School Outreach
Walthamstow School for Girls was awarded Specialist School status in Maths & Computing in 2004 and in Applied Learning in 2007.
Our Specialist School activities aim to vastly enrich the experiences of our students, those from local primary schools and our wider local community. Here at Walthamstow School for Girls we always strive to make effective use of software to support learning and communication. Technology is constantly evolving which means that choosing and embedding the latest tools, which can be effectively used to raise achievement, is vital.
- Primary Link activities (inviting Year 6 students from local primary schools to take part in workshops with our staff and students)
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) activities for students (e.g. Engineering or micro bit workshops)
- Links with Monoux College (some of our students gain a free standing Maths qualification here, others attend an A Level Maths preparation day)
- Support for community members (e.g. hosting student teachers)
- Providing work experience for local community members considering a career in teaching
- Training courses in ICT for teachers from our school and others in the local area
- Research into and implementation of new software to best support staff, parents and students
Our Specialist Schools work has maintained our positive and high profile in the community. It has developed strong relationships within our area including with our local primary schools. Our prospective students say that they feel more comfortable when starting secondary school with us as a result of taking part in Primary Link activities. Our work supports the development of Maths and Computing, both in the school and beyond, for example by supporting parents to better understand social media and other e-safety issues.
You can read more about some of our Primary Link activities in the document below ...