Key Dates for Year 10
Parents' Information Evening ...................................................... Tuesday 18 September 2018
Parent Information Evening - 18th September 2018
Year 10 Parents Information Evening
On Tuesday 18 September we will be holding a Year 10 Parents Information Evening in the Hewett Hall. The doors will open at 5:45 pm for a prompt 6:00 pm start. The aim of this Information Evening is to provide you with details on key events your daughter will need to prepare for this year including:
- New GCSE curriculum/Measuring progress
- GCSE Expectations and Revision techniques (English, Maths and Science)
- E-Safety awareness for KS4 students
- Work Experience
We would like all students to be supported at this meeting by an adult and so no student will be allowed to attend without a parent or carer present. The event will finish at approximately 7:00 pm.
If you have any further questions regarding the Year 10 Parent Information Evening please do not hesitate to contact Ms Kennedy, Deputy Headteacher responsible for Key Stage 4 or Mrs Jean-Baptiste, Year 10 Student Progress Leader.
Mrs T Jean-Baptiste
Year 10 Student Progress Leade
If you were unable to attend the P.I.E., all the information given can be found here.
Debate Chamber Summer Schools
Debate Chamber Summer Schools – Includes Medicine, Dentistry, Computer Science, Art History, Philosophy, History, Politics, Law, Economics, Physics and English Literature
The Debate Chamber is running a number of Summer Schools next year. Have a look at the website to find out more. There is also some information on the Challenge Board.
It is possible to apply for a bursary to cover the cost.
Feedback from students who have attended Debate Chamber courses in the past has always been very positive.
End/Beginning of Term Arrangements
Information for staff / students
The final day of Autumn Term is Friday 21st December 2018
- ALL lessons 1 – 3 are as normal.
- 12.25pm – back to Tutor Rooms for taking down decorations, clearing and PM registration.
- Register MUST be taken please.
- There will be a normal breaktime offer in the canteen.
- There will be no lunchtime offer.
- Friday 21st December will be a non-uniform day with proceeds going towards the Community Party for the Elderly.
- The jewellery rules still apply on this day and lanyards must be worn.
- Tutor Groups dismissed by SPL or LT at approx 12.45pm
- School finishes at 12.45pm and no students will be allowed to remain in school beyond this time.
The first day of the Spring Term for students is Monday 7th January 2019
- All Students are expected in FULL school uniform and to be in school at the correct time.
- The Focus of the Fortnight will be on correct Uniform and Lanyards.
- This will be a Week B.
Have a safe and enjoyable holiday!
Ms K H Pratt
Christmas Lunch 2018 Wednesday 19th December
Year 7 - 11.45
Year 9 - 12.15
Year 11 - 12.40
Year 10 - 1.00
Year 8 - 1.15
- No breaktime service on Wednesday 19th December
- Xmas lunch is the price of a main meal
- No sandwiches / other meals available on the day
- Vegetarian option available
- Please ensure that you have your one card loaded, ready to use
- Cash will NOT be accepted at the tills
If you want instrumental lessons next term (January to April) you must see Miss Bradshaw for a letter BEFORE FRIDAY.
If you are continuing with your instrumental lessons from this term you MUST pay on sQuid by
5th December 2018 or lessons will be stopped.
WSFG Christmas Jumper Day in Support of Save the Children
We will be having a Christmas Jumper Day on Friday 14th December in support of Save the Children. All students (and staff of course) will be allowed to wear a Christmas jumper and donate a minimum of £1 to this charity. You must wear your blazer to school on this day but you can take it off when you get to school. You will need to wear your lanyard and it is simply a Christmas Jumper that you are permitted to wear, no other uniform/jewellery changes are allowed. Posters have been distributed to each form and class lists will be given to charity reps to collect the money at the start of next week. The money must be taken to the Finance Office on Friday morning.
Student Progress Leader Year 8
If you are a member of a music extra-curricular group, please attend rehearsals regularly as we are preparing for the Carol Concert on Tuesday 18th December.
- Tuesday – Mary Poppins Rehearsals for FULL CAST - 3.30 – 5.30 (W33)
- Wednesday – Glee Club – 3.30 – 5.00 (W33)
- Wednesday Lunch – Mary Poppins Singing rehearsals – 12.50 – 1.20 (Recording Studio)
- Thursday – Orchestra - 3.30 – 4.45 (W33)
- Thursday – Year 11 Coursework Catch-Up – 3.30 – 4.45 (W26)
- Thursday – Mary Poppins Singing Rehearsals - 12.50 – 1.20 (Recording Studio)
- Thursday – WIND BAND IS BACK! – 4.30 – 5.30 (W26)
- Friday – Show Band – 3.30 – 5.30 (W33)
- Friday – Mary Poppins Singing Rehearsals – 12.50 – 1.20 (Recording Studio)
If you have instrumental/vocal lessons at the school you should be attending at least one of these clubs regularly.
Latin Summer School
Eat or Heat Foodbank
In the past we have supported Eat or Heat, the local food bank in Waltham Forest. They are based in Walthamstow but provide food for those in need all over the borough of Waltham Forest.
Eat or Heat was extremely busy over the school summer holidays providing food for families, replacing the school meals the children would have had daily. Now with winter approaching the need for food aid will rise again. They also like to provide some "treats" over the festive period for families that would not otherwise be able to enjoy them.
Ms Dowling, Ms Hayns, Ms Winter, Ms Simpson, Ms Mayes
Lunch Money Loans
It has become apparent that the number of students borrowing money for lunch has increased dramatically this school year. Lunch money loans should be for emergency purposes only.
Walthamstow School for Girls offers a Top-Up facility via sQuid enabling both students and parents to check balances, top-up lunch money, pay for trips and other sundry items at their own convenience.
An automatic Top-Up can also be activated ensuring your daughter never runs out of money.
A reminder to parents/carers that if you wish to pay for your daughter’s school meals by cheque, please make the cheque payable to ‘Olive Dining Ltd’.
All students have also been given usernames and passwords to enable payments to be made online via our sQuid system. If you would like a reminder of your daughter’s username and password please contact Student Services.
GCSE Science Revision Guides
Science GCSE Revision Guides
The Science Department will be selling AQA GCSE Science Revision Guides to Years 9 & 10 from Student Services at a much reduced price.
You are able to buy them from Student Services for the following prices:
Combined Science (Higher or Foundation) £8.00 (list price £16.99)
Triple (Higher tier only - for students taking separate science) £11.00 for all 3 books (list price £32.97)
We would like to encourage all students to purchase the guide(s) as they will be a great aid to revision and learning.
Students entitled to Free School meals are able to purchase the books at half the price, £4 for combined, £5.50 for triple.
Head of Science
PSHE in Year 10