Year 11 Key Dates 2018-19
Parent Information Evening - Tuesday 6th November 2018
The aim of this evening is to provide you with details on key events your daughter will need to prepare for this year and how to support her in core subjects:
* Post 16 options and college applications, Ms Kennedy
* Professional Interview Day, Ms Philippou
* Preparing for GCSEs, Ms Kennedy
* English – final preparations/revision strategies, Ms Schaber
* Maths – maths mocks, interventions and revision software, Mr Salmon
* Science, interventions and Tassomai, Mr Kerr
* Summer 2019 NCS engagement, Mr Dominic
Should you have any query about the evening, please contact me.
Student Progress Leader, Year 11
If you were unable to attend the Parents Information Evening, all the information given can be found here.
Debate Chamber Summer Schools
Debate Chamber Summer Schools – Includes Medicine, Dentistry, Computer Science, Art History, Philosophy, History, Politics, Law, Economics, Physics and English Literature
The Debate Chamber is running a number of Summer Schools next year. Have a look at the website to find out more. There is also some information on the Challenge Board.
It is possible to apply for a bursary to cover the cost.
Feedback from students who have attended Debate Chamber courses in the past has always been very positive.
End/Beginning of Term Arrangements
Information for staff / students
The final day of Autumn Term is Friday 21st December 2018
- ALL lessons 1 – 3 are as normal.
- 12.25pm – back to Tutor Rooms for taking down decorations, clearing and PM registration.
- Register MUST be taken please.
- There will be a normal breaktime offer in the canteen.
- There will be no lunchtime offer.
- Friday 21st December will be a non-uniform day with proceeds going towards the Community Party for the Elderly.
- The jewellery rules still apply on this day and lanyards must be worn.
- Tutor Groups dismissed by SPL or LT at approx 12.45pm
- School finishes at 12.45pm and no students will be allowed to remain in school beyond this time.
The first day of the Spring Term for students is Monday 7th January 2019
- All Students are expected in FULL school uniform and to be in school at the correct time.
- The Focus of the Fortnight will be on correct Uniform and Lanyards.
- This will be a Week B.
Have a safe and enjoyable holiday!
Ms K H Pratt
Christmas Lunch 2018 Wednesday 19th December
Year 7 - 11.45
Year 9 - 12.15
Year 11 - 12.40
Year 10 - 1.00
Year 8 - 1.15
- No breaktime service on Wednesday 19th December
- Xmas lunch is the price of a main meal
- No sandwiches / other meals available on the day
- Vegetarian option available
- Please ensure that you have your one card loaded, ready to use
- Cash will NOT be accepted at the tills
WSFG Christmas Jumper Day in Support of Save the Children
We will be having a Christmas Jumper Day on Friday 14th December in support of Save the Children. All students (and staff of course) will be allowed to wear a Christmas jumper and donate a minimum of £1 to this charity. You must wear your blazer to school on this day but you can take it off when you get to school. You will need to wear your lanyard and it is simply a Christmas Jumper that you are permitted to wear, no other uniform/jewellery changes are allowed. Posters have been distributed to each form and class lists will be given to charity reps to collect the money at the start of next week. The money must be taken to the Finance Office on Friday morning.
Student Progress Leader Year 8
Peer Mentors 2018-19
Congratulations to the following Year 11 students whose application was successful and will be Peer Mentors to Year 7s next term!
- 7W G56:
- Raahil 11F
- Nooria 11F
- Faiza 11F
- Fatima 11F
- 7S G19:
- Jessica 11S
- Rumaanah 11S
- Sumbal 11C
- 7F S07:
- Khalida 11H
- Tiana 11H
- Areeba 11H
- Mariam 11H
- 7G F25:
- Sophie 11G
- Sophie 11G
- Nada 11G
- Zahrah 11G
- 7C F38:
- Amaras 11W
- Khadijah 11W
- Emily 11W
- Rutvi 11W
- 7H F39:
- Dainna 11G
- Dean 11G
- Aisha 11G
The sessions will start after Christmas. Please come to G12 on Thursday 13th December at 1.30pm for a 2 hour Peer Mentor Training including a Child Protection session (make sure you catch up on any work missed).
On Thursdays AM registration after Christmas, you will go to your mentees but beforehand please sign the sheet on Ms King’s door to get your mark and then make you way to the allocated Form rooms.
Student Progress Leader Year 11
If you want instrumental lessons next term (January to April) you must see Miss Bradshaw for a letter BEFORE FRIDAY.
If you are continuing with your instrumental lessons from this term you MUST pay on sQuid by
5th December 2018 or lessons will be stopped.
College Roadshow Thursday 13 December 2018: 6pm to 7:30pm
During this term students in Year 11 will be receiving information about continuing their education after they leave this school. Over the last few years more and more students have chosen to go to colleges/sixth form schools to extend their skills and qualifications. At the present time the number of job vacancies for school leavers is small. Employers increasingly prefer applicants with a good variety of skills, abilities and interests. Continuing education is one way of increasing these.
Our College Roadshow is an excellent opportunity to meet and discuss options with established providers of A Levels, BTECs and Apprenticeships. At least 25 stall holders will offer guidance and information about courses, University options, required GCSEs and job opportunities for Post 16 year olds.
We hope as many students as possible, accompanied by their parents/carers will be able to attend this event.
Year 11 English Workbooks
Workbooks for ‘An Inspector Calls’ and ‘Jane Eyre’ are available at Student Services at a reduced cost of £4 each. Please see student services before or after school if you would like to purchase these workbooks.
Head of English Faculty
If you are a member of a music extra-curricular group, please attend rehearsals regularly as we are preparing for the Carol Concert on Tuesday 18th December.
- Tuesday – Mary Poppins Rehearsals for FULL CAST - 3.30 – 5.30 (W33)
- Wednesday – Glee Club – 3.30 – 5.00 (W33)
- Wednesday Lunch – Mary Poppins Singing rehearsals – 12.50 – 1.20 (Recording Studio)
- Thursday – Orchestra - 3.30 – 4.45 (W33)
- Thursday – Year 11 Coursework Catch-Up – 3.30 – 4.45 (W26)
- Thursday – Mary Poppins Singing Rehearsals - 12.50 – 1.20 (Recording Studio)
- Thursday – WIND BAND IS BACK! – 4.30 – 5.30 (W26)
- Friday – Show Band – 3.30 – 5.30 (W33)
- Friday – Mary Poppins Singing Rehearsals – 12.50 – 1.20 (Recording Studio)
If you have instrumental/vocal lessons at the school you should be attending at least one of these clubs regularly.
Latin Summer School
Eat or Heat Foodbank
In the past we have supported Eat or Heat, the local food bank in Waltham Forest. They are based in Walthamstow but provide food for those in need all over the borough of Waltham Forest.
Eat or Heat was extremely busy over the school summer holidays providing food for families, replacing the school meals the children would have had daily. Now with winter approaching the need for food aid will rise again. They also like to provide some "treats" over the festive period for families that would not otherwise be able to enjoy them.
Ms Dowling, Ms Hayns, Ms Winter, Ms Simpson, Ms Mayes
College & Sixth Form Open Days/Evenings
A list of these can be found here
Fashion Retail Academy
Year 11 Geography Revision
In preparation for the Year 11 mock exams, Mr Sterlini has created a revision list for the Year 11 Geography paper which can be found here
Beal Sixth Form Open Evening
We need to compile a list of 20 students to attend the Beal Open Evening which is planned for
16th January and we will give you more details nearer the time.
Beal has 14 girls from WSFG on roll in Year 12 this year.
Their entry requirement is basic: get level 5s minimum! Check their website for more info.
If you are interested and committed to attending their Open evening, come and see Ms Desbenoit.
College/Sixth Form Lunchtime Lectures
We currently do not have any lectures scheduled.
A Reminder for all Year 11 Students
All Year 11 students need to regularly check their school emails for important information that is sometimes sent to them.
I have today sent an important email regarding the regulatory JCQ Notices to Candidates for 2018-19 that they need to be familiar with.
If they are unsure of their email addresses please speak to one of the IT Technicians in F15.
Exams & Assessment Manager
Sixth Form / College Open Days / Evenings
Waltham Forest College
Will be pleased to welcome you on the following dates for their 2018/2019 Open Events:
- Saturday 26th January, 10am – 1pm
- Wednesday 20th March, 4.30pm – 7.30pm
- Wednesday 15th May, 4.30pm – 7.30pm
Chingford Foundation School Sixth Form Open Evening will take place on Thursday 17th January, from 6:30pm. Please click here for more information.
Year 11 revision for Science Wednesday lunch times:
These will take place in G02 with Mr Kerr.
KS4 Spanish Club/GCSE support
Please go to F25 every Monday 3:30-4:30pm for extra support with your Spanish GCSE.
If you are a targeted student, you MUST attend every week.
Ms. Prieto, Head of MFL
KS4 French Club/GCSE support
Please go to F21 every Monday 3:30-4:30pm for extra support with your French GCSE.
If you are a targeted student, you MUST attend every week.
Ms. Prieto, Head of MFL
Zanzibar Trip July 2018
Exam Anxiety - Supporting at Home
Please click here for helpful advice on supporting your daughter through her exams.
Tips for College Interviews
Tips to make your interview a success are:
- Have a conversation. The most successful applicants are those who are themselves
- Ask questions. Do express your interest in why you want to study the subject(s) you have applied for and the College
- Be yourself. Don’t try to answer questions based on what you think your interviewer wants to hear
- Prepare. Find out about the course(s) you’ve applied for. Find out about the career paths or further study options. Find out about the College. Have a look through the website.
- Be ready. Always arrive at least 15 minutes early.
Lunch Money Loans
It has become apparent that the number of students borrowing money for lunch has increased dramatically this school year. Lunch money loans should be for emergency purposes only.
Walthamstow School for Girls offers a Top-Up facility via sQuid enabling both students and parents to check balances, top-up lunch money, pay for trips and other sundry items at their own convenience.
An automatic Top-Up can also be activated ensuring your daughter never runs out of money.
A reminder to parents/carers that if you wish to pay for your daughter’s school meals by cheque, please make the cheque payable to ‘Olive Dining Ltd’.
All students have also been given usernames and passwords to enable payments to be made online via our sQuid system. If you would like a reminder of your daughter’s username and password please contact Student Services.
If you require a college reference you need to hand in your completed application form to Student Services in the morning, before registration. You will then be able to collect it after school that day.
Any applications/requests received after break may not be completed until the following day.
We have to adopt this procedure as hundreds of requests come in each year and they all need to be logged and completed.
If you need your reference before the Christmas holidays it will contain your Forecast Grade from your end of Year 10 exam results. After Christmas this will be updated and your college reference will have a Forecast Grade based on your Year 11 Mock Examination.
For on-line applications, where a contact e-mail address is requested, you should use the following address:
If you have any questions please see Ms Desbenoit or Ms Jolliffe.
GCSE PE revision guides are for sale from the PA office for £2.50 each.
Please see Ms Wood if you would like to buy one.