Worried or Anxious?
Here is a booklet full of information that we hope will help our students and parents/carers during this uncertain time ...
Year 7 Parent Information Evening (P.I.E.)
23 September 2020
Dear Parents and Carers
I hope you and your families are safe and well.
As you are aware, Walthamstow School for Girls was due to host our Year 7 Parent Information Evening (or Year 7 PIE) this evening. Unfortunately, due to the restrictions about social gatherings it is impossible for us to hold this event in school.
To ensure you are fully informed about all the key information relevant to Year 7 students this year, we have decided to record a presentation that covers the key topics that we would normally include in the PIE evening.
The presentation includes an overview of the main changes that we have introduced in school in order to ensure everyone safe on site, as well as what steps we have put in place to ensure we can continue teaching live lessons remotely in the event of another lockdown.
There is a running order on the second slide that covers the content of the rest of the presentation.
The total running time for the Year 7 PIE is 20 minutes and you can watch it by clicking on the link here
Year 7 Student Progress Leader
Associate Assistant Headteacher
Year 7 Key Dates
- Tuesday 8 September to Friday 18 December 2020
- Friday 16 October 2020 - Inset for staff training - school closed for students
- Autumn Half Term - Monday 26 October to Friday 30 October 2020
- Christmas holiday (Early Closure at 13.00) - Monday 21 December 2020 to Friday 1 January 2021
- Monday 4 January 2021 to Thursday 01 April 2021
- Spring Half Term - Monday 15 February to Friday 19 February 2021
- Easter Holiday - Friday 02 April 2021 to Friday 16 April 2021
- Monday 19 April 2021 to Thursday 22 July 2021
- Thursday 22nd April - Parent's Evening
- Monday 17th - Thursday 28th May - Year 8 Exams Fortnight
- Summer Half Term - Tuesday 01 June to Friday 04 June 2021
Please note that these dates are subject to amendment.
WSFG Office 365 Guide
For your information and to help you support your daughter's learning both in and out of school here is our Walthamstow School for Girls user guide for Office365. This should provide you with any information you need when accessing online learning.
With kind regards,
Year 7 Student Progress Leader
Associate Assistant Headteacher
Student Mobile Phones at WSFG 2020-21
During the period of the COVID-19 pandemic mobile phones WILL be allowed to be carried by students during the school day at WSFG.
- We understand that parents / carers may wish their children to have mobile phones for safety purposes on the way to and from school.
- To allow for this ALL students will be required to turn off (not on silent) their mobile phones before they enter school and place them securely in their school bags.
- The phone must NOT be taken out of the bag and turned on and checked / used at any time during the school day.
- The phone will remain in the student bag, but this may be left unattended in a classroom at times during the school day, so students bring their phones into school at their OWN risk.
- Phones can be used on exit from the school premises once students are outside the school gates.
- Note that SMART watches such as Fitbits are NOT allowed to be worn in school and must not be brought into school.
If a student is found to be using a mobile phone in school:
- The mobile phone will be confiscated by a member of staff.
- If the student does not hand over the mobile phone straight away or argues with the member of staff, a further sanction will be applied.
- Mobile phones will NOT be returned directly to students.
- Parents / carers will receive a phone call (usually the day after confiscation) asking them to collect the phone from the school office, following Covid-19 handling restrictions.
Mobile phones that are brought into school by students are done so at the student’s OWN risk.
The school takes no responsibility for loss or damage of mobile phones if they are brought into school by students.
Dear Parent / Carer
Parent App – easy access to important school information
We have a convenient way to share information with you about your daughter’s school life. In the next few days you will be able to access our new parent app and website.
You can access the system from a smartphone, tablet or PC – anytime, anywhere.
What you will find in the SIMS Parent App initially:
- Important information related to your daughter’s attendance and timetables
- School term, inset dates, calendar events at the click of a button
- Access to your child’s school report
- Access to update your contact details, so we always have the most up-to-date information in case of emergency
- If you have more than one child at school, you’ll have access to information for all your children, from the same app.
As we develop the system, we hope to provide data related to your daughter’s progress in subject areas, homework set and her conduct over the course of the next academic year.
The information that you receive through the app will help you to stay up-to-date with your daughter’s school life as well as support your child’s development and progress.
Getting started with the SIMS Parent App
1. We will send you an activation email within the next two weeks to the email address we hold for you on our records; simply click on the link from your tablet, PC or smartphone to activate your account.
2. You can then login using your normal Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft username and password.
3. From your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple), download the app from the Google Play or Apple App store - search for “SIMS Parent”. (You can do this in advance of receiving the activation email).
4. From a PC or Windows phone, login online at http://www.sims-parent.co.uk
Your activation email link will expire after 14 days if it is not used, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a new activation email link after this date or have any further questions about the new SIMs Parent App.
A Message from your SPL - 3 September 2020
3 September 2020
Dear Year 7 Students, Parents and Carers
We are putting into place the final preparations for students’ first day at Walthamstow School for Girls.
In order to make sure everyone agrees to comply with our new regulations to keep students and staff safe, we are asking all students and parents/carers to complete a Covid Safety Contract prior to students starting school. The deadline for this to be done is Friday 4th September. If we do not receive both Covid Safety Contracts, we will be unable to welcome students into school. It is therefore essential for both contracts to be completed.
If you have any issues with the contract, please contact us at email@example.com. Here is the Covid Safety Contract for you to complete:
We had hoped to put together a welcome video for students, however, our main focus has been ensuring all measures are firmly in place so that we have a ‘Covid-secure’ environment for all students starting next week. It goes without saying that we are really looking forward to welcoming students in person on Monday 8th September at 8.30am.
With best wishes
Student Progress Leader Year 7/Associate Assistant Headteacher
Lunch Money Loans
Lunch money loans should be for emergency purposes only.
Walthamstow School for Girls offers a Top-Up facility via sQuid enabling both students and parents to check balances, top-up lunch money, pay for trips and other sundry items at their own convenience.
An automatic Top-Up can also be activated ensuring your daughter never runs out of money.
A reminder to parents/carers that if you wish to pay for your daughter’s school meals by cheque, please make the cheque payable to ‘Olive Dining Ltd’.
All students are given usernames and passwords to enable payments to be made online via our sQuid system. If you would like a reminder of your daughter’s username and password, please contact Student Services.
PSHE in Year 7
GREEN lessons in Year 7
Information on Our G.R.E.E.N. Vision can be found here ...