Work Related Learning
We believe that a full and rich education gives every student the opportunity to experience and understand the world of work. We ensure that we provide the chance for all students from years 8-11 to participate in this, giving them insight into possible careers and helping them to reflect on where they wish to take their futures.
The following events have taken place recently:
- Virtual Insight Day with NHS run in Year 10 Science classes, discussing careers in the NHS.
- Year 11 Careers Days – Teams presentations from Apprenticeship provider, our Careers Enterprise Partner and the NHS.
- One-to-one Careers Interviews for 60 Year 11 SEN/PP/EAL students.
- Year 11 virtual assembly by Deputy Headteacher of Leyton Sixth Form College.
- Virtual talk from Dorothy Byrne, ex-head of current affairs at Channel 4 to Year 10 students.
- Online Work Experience opportunities advertised to students using the Student Progress Leader Team.
- MyBnk workshops for all Year 7/8 students
- Year 7 Philosophy workshop
- Year 8 Young Lawyers workshop
The following events are planned for the near future:
- Year 10 and 11 students regularly updated with evening, weekend and holiday virtual work experience opportunities through Speakers4Schools.
- Year 9 students using START programme in IT suites to research careers.
- Careers activities in registration for all year groups.
- PSHE lessons for Year 11s to focus on Post 16 options and preparing for these.
Year 9 Baccalaureate and studying abroad workshop
Year 10 Cambridge University talks within Maths lessons
Students have a better understanding of the world of work and possible career paths. Students build transferable skills in line with our GREEN vision, as raise their aspirations for the future. Students challenge stereotypes about the work place and grow as confident women who are better prepared for life after Walthamstow School for Girls.